I don’t watch serials, those heavy make ups, constant conspiracies and over the top acting is not my cup of tea. I don’t watch reality shows either because nothing is real about them to be true and the jarring suspense music to reveal the eliminations or winners is a big let down. But anyways who cares about people like me 😁. To put it simple and straight, apart from few good movies to catch up and my favourite Mahabharata (Indian mythological drama) idiot box in my home doesn’t serve much.
So where do I get my daily dose of entertainment from, but obvious YouTube. I binge on YouTube. I don’t stick to a particular genre, taste changes according to my mood, mood in the family and mood of the country 😂. But the interesting part is that more than the videos I have kind of fetish to read the comments ensuing the video. The kind of comments I find there tells a lot about the different mentalities of people. I am listing a few according to my observation:
- Grammar Nazis: This category people are my personal favourites as I get to learn so much about the language leaving aside the topic in question 😂. One misspelled word, one misplaced word/ punctuation and we have them in action. It could be their command over the language or love for it that they can’t tolerate the mistakes in language, difference of opinions can be countered later.
- Forever Romantics: No matter what is the situation, how seriously people are involved in presenting their viewpoint I always came across a set of hopelessly (or shall we say too many Hope’s pinned 😉) romantic people who never ceases to try their luck in the comment section expecting a favourable response. “Hi Ma’am you are very beautiful, please call me at xxxxxxxxx”, “Hi can we be friends”, “I love you” – few examples how Romeos search for their Juliet on YouTube (or any social media platform for that matter).
- Family People: Stop! Before you jump to conclusions let me clarify literal translation won’t work here. These are the people who use cuss words using “relations” (you know what I mean, don’t want to elaborate further) in every sentence they state. It’s the way they express themselves, oppose opinions of others, they swear. It’s basically part of their grammar unfortunately.
- No words, only emojis: I think I don’t need further words to explain this 😁😁😁😁. Sometimes I get confused whom they are supporting amidst the threads of comments going on.
- Repeat mode on: Off late I have come across a new genre of people commenting on YouTube and they are the “Repeaters” . To emphasise their point of view or to get noticed or simply they have too much time (may be lack of it) they repeat their comment everywhere (in every reply, in every related video). They are not just repeaters but the most irritating group on YouTube.
- Promotion guys: Just like the forlorn/ forever romantics there’s a group which don’t cease to take up every opportunity to promote its agenda on videos that are least or not at all related to their business (literal and otherwise). There are people who promote their own channels, their business ideas, businesses and what not. I am still confused if I can call them intelligent or opportunists or desperate 🤔.
- The comparison brigade: Well, we find them in every sphere, in every walk of life – Never Happy. Always comparing things, people, situations. They are the epitome of pessimism to put it simple. For instance there’s a song playing and everything about that is simply amazing and everyone in the comment thread is praising it but the forever sworn unhappy people do mark their presence with their comments like “nah! It would have been better if it was sung by so and so”, “actor X would have been/is better than this actor Y”, ” things were better in our times”, ” song would have been better if recorded on Mars” and it continues 😂😂😂.
So these are few observations that I have made off late. You also might have few observations, suggestions or corrections for that matter to add. Feel free to drop them in “Comment” section 😁. I am waiting 😉.